I. Know Christ
(First 3 steps)
1. Realize – I admit I am powerless over my addiction and compulsive behavior and my life has become unmanageable.
• “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;.” Romans 3:23
2. Recognize – I believe that only the Lord Jesus Christ has the power to rescue me and restore me to sanity.
• “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
3. Receive – I am making a conscious decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of the Lord Jesus Christ.
• “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” Romans 10:9-10
II. Grow in Christ
(this is a daily walk with Christ – Next 8 steps)
4. Review – I will make a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself.
• “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:.”
5. Reveal – I admit to God, to the Lord Jesus Christ, to myself, and to another human being the exact nature of my wrongs.
• “Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
6. Ready – I am entirely ready to have the Lord Jesus Christ remove all these defects of character and fill me with the fruit of the Spirit.
• “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.”
7. Request – I humbly ask the Lord Jesus Christ to remove all my shortcomings and to forgive my sins.
• “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
8. Restitution – I will make a list of all persons I have harmed and I am willing to make amends to them all.
• “And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.”
(this is the Golden rule – “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) memorize and live by it. Luke 6:31
9. Respect – I will make amends to such people whenever possible; except when to do so would injure them or others.
• “Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the alter, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee. 24 Leave thy gift before the altar, and go thy way, first be reconciled to thy brother, and then and offer thy gift.”
10. Reckoning – I will continue to take personal inventory and when I am wrong wrong, I will promptly admitted it.
• “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.”
1 Corinthians 10:12
11. Rest – I will seek through prayer and meditation to improve my relationship with God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, allowing the Holy Spirit to lead and control me.
• “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;”
III. Show Christ
12. Reproduce – Having had a spiritual experience as a result of these steps, I will carry this message to others and practice these principles in all my affairs.
• “Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.”